The other night while eating dinner my boyfriend stated that a BLT sandwich would be good to have for dinner one night this week. We were thinking and thought what if we switched out the regular red tomato in the sandwich and attempted to make a BLT with a healthier version of a “fried green tomato” and try to air-fry it instead.
I honestly never bought any green tomatoes while living in Florida so I was happy to see them by the regular tomatoes at #Publix in Riverview, FL.
I essentially made a flour mixture, a buttermilk (I used regular milk with a tbsp of vinegar) + eggs mixture, and a corn meal/panko bread crumb mixture to assemble these fried green tomatoes. Since we are making BLT’s we bought some delicious homemade sour dough bread, fried up some bacon, and made two versions of mayo: herb mayo and a sriracha mayo and served these delicious sandwiches with some air-fried sweet potato waffle fries.
I have an “Avalon Bay” air-fryer that I have been using for years – it works great! I’ll attach the link for it on Amazon at the end.
Anyway, I promise these fried green tomatoes are delicious on their own but definitely amazing on a BLT sandwich
Ingredients (air-fried green tomatos):
-2 Green Tomatos
-Salt + Pepper (to taste)
-Garlic Powder (1 tsp)
-Creole Seasoning (to taste)
-1/2 cup buttermilk (I never have buttermilk so I mixed 1tbsp vinegar in 1/2 cup fo regular milk and let sit for at least 5 minutes until “curdled”)
-1 cup Panko bread crumbs
-1 cup corn meal
-Oil or Avocado oil spray
- Cut tomatoes into 1/4-inch slices. Pat dry with paper towels and season well with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and creole season (to taste)
- Place flour in a shallow dish (I honeslty use a paper plate for easy clean up)
- Whisk together eggs and buttermilk in a shallow dish or bowl (Make your own buttermilk by combining milk with 1 tbsp of vinegar and letting sit for 5 mins). Add creole seasoning to taste..
- Combine Panko crumbs and cornmeal in a shallow dish (I again use a paper plate for easy cleanup). Add in a small amount of salt, pepper, and creole seasoning.
- Preheat your airfryer to 400 degrees (attachment to amazon)
- Coat the tomato slices in the flour, dip in egg mixture, and then press panko crumb mixture into both sides.
- Spray airfryer with oil and place 4 tomato slices in basket (only four would fit in my airfryer – you do not want to overlap). Mist the tops with oil. Air-fry for 7 minutes (watch closely so it doesn’t burn
- Flip tomatoes over, mist with more oil and air-fry 3-5 more minutes or until golden brown
- Serve with ranch or a mayonnaise sauce (I like taking mayo and mixing with srircha and hot sauce to taste)
- Sourdough bread
- Lettuce (we used a romaine mix, but can use any lettuce of your choice)
- Thick cut bacon
- Air-fried Green Tomatoes
- Mayo (I like to take mayo and mix with fresh herbs – like parsley, rosemary, etc)
- Fry some bacon (2-3 slices per sandwich or more depending on how much bacon you want per sandwich) Render the fat and watch closely so you dont burn your bacon. Place on papertowel when bacon is complete
- Prepare and make the air-fried green tomatoes
- Toast your sourdough bread (either in butter, oil, or bacon grease)
- Spread mayo on both slices of toasted bread, add lettuce, air-fried tomato slices, bacon, and another slice of toasted bread)
- Cut in half and enjoy!
- Serve with your favorite sandwich side dish (we did sweet potato waffle fries)
That herb mayo and perfectly golden “fried” green tomatoes though!